Saturday, August 4, 2012

My Credentials

Disclaimer per Twitter, my opinion(s) are my own and do not reflect those of my employer, my family, friends or dinner guests.

It's all about me:
- I smoke and swear a lot. Those are my endearing qualities.
- I am a graduate of both State College High School (Little Lions) and Penn State (Nittany Lions). I know the history and culture of Happy Valley better than most.
- It only took me 40 years to get my bachelor's degree in Journalism. You may conclude, correctly, that I am not a scholar. But I do know the media.
- I bleed Blue and White.
- I have a fantastic wife, a bunch of kids, grandkids and one great grandson. You may conclude, correctly, that I am a family man...and I'm not a teenager.
- I have the good fortune of knowing many great athletes, coaches and administrators at Penn State.
- I've lettered in wrestling, football and tennis and competed in wrestling, tennis and rugby at Penn State. I have logged many years competing on baseball fields, softball fields, volleyball courts and racquetball courts and continue to do so. I do not have a mantle dripping with medals and "outstanding" anything to brag about. However, I know a little bit about sports culture.
- I know many of the people currently embroiled in controversy at PSU. I think it's fair to say I have some biases, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong...just better informed.

Now, I know this pales in comparison to having a byline in the mainstream media. I don't even have a cool blazer and microphone over at ESPN, CNN, etc. I don't have any friends named Piers. I don't have a law degree.

But here's what I do have - an eerie track record of being right about a lot of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment