Thursday, August 16, 2012

Penn State's Scarlett Ribbon

One of the many things I struggle with: being told I HAVE to do something. The urge to rebel rises like a sleeping giant. I know, it's a childish thing.

I'm much older now, so I wait a bit to see if I'm just having a knee-jerk reaction that goes to my Irish heritage. This one won't go away...so it must have some merit.

I'm speaking about the Scarlett Letter...um, Ribbons.
Now, is it just me, or is this just one more way to perpetuate an aura of guilt and doing penance?..as opposed to showing support for a cause? It's probably just me. I don't wear armbands to prove I mourn or wristbands to prove I care, or white t-shirts to be one of many. I bristle at the notion that anyone who wears something is MORE in tune than I am. I'm not a group-think guy, but I'm in the business of knowing how to manipulate people who are. I do have a list of people who SHOULD wear ribbons.

I can hardly wait until the TV cameras zoom in on our players.

In my view, Penn State is in this frenetic counter-spin mode that constantly reminds people of something "we" didn't do, making up for sins "we" have not commited. A never-ending mindset of the #psubot and current administration. So, I object on that premise alone.

Culture this
The culture of Penn State/Happy Valley was and is one of academic excellence and a friendly and safe environment to raise a family. Our tradition, history of success with honor and generations of alums is statistically a fact...as true today as in previous decades. The very culture that has made us strong, made us vulnerable to a predator in our midst. That's not a stretch...it just doesn't have the "wow" factor the media craves. We are close-knit. We do give the benefit of a doubt. We do believe in due process. And it has cost us. Our own BOT turned on it's own, and hung them with terms and expressions like "humane,""unconditional support," and "I wish I had done more." Spoken like the barbarians that they are...men who have dedicated their lives to their professions...and a considerable part to Penn State and the community.

Glass house, my ass.
Unlike our detractors, it's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment